Mulakkada pappu pulusu
Mulakkada pappu pulusu is an amazing recipe which is prepared with mulakkada(Drumstick) and pesara pappu(Yellow lentils) as main ingredients. The recipe is very simple, quick and easy to prepare. Drumsticks and yellow lentils are cooked together. Tamarind extract and required amount of salt is added. Tempering is done with mustard, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds in sesame oil. Here I present authentic Andhra mulakkada pappu pulusu to relish any day with hot steamed rice and melted ghee. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Drumsticks: 2 nos.
Pesara pappu/yellow lentils: 1 small cup or two fistfuls(Approximately)
Green chillies: 2 nos.
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Tamarind: Lemon sized
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few
Sesame oil: 2 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: Few
Asafoetida: A pinch
Red chilli flakes: 1 tsp(Optional).
Method of preparation:
1. Take two drumsticks, remove the edges and chop them into three inch pieces. Rinse them thoroughly with water.
2. Take one small cup of yellow lentils in a heavy bottomed vessel, rinse once with water.
3. Now add drumsticks and four cups of water to the yellow lentils. Add generous pinch of turmeric too.
4. Boil the mixture on low flame.
5. Meanwhile soak tamarind in enough water for 15-20 minutes.
6. When yellow lentils and drumsticks are almost cooked, add curry leaves, chopped green chillies, chopped coriander leaves too.
7. Mix well and continue cooking on low flame. Add required amount of salt too.
8. Now extract tamarind water from the soaked tamarind.
9. Add tamarind water to the completely cooked lentils and drumsticks mixture.
10. Mix thoroughly and boil for five minutes. Add half cup of water to get right consistency.
11. Heat small kadai and pour sesame oil for tempering.
12. Put mustard, cumin and fenugreek seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida into it. Also add red chilli flakes. Instead of red chilli flakes, red chilli powder can be added.
13. Pour this tempering onto the drumstick yellow lentils mixture. Mix thoroughly and boil for one more minute. Switch off the flame.
14. Now the tasty mulakkada pappu pulusu/drumstick lentils stew is ready. Transfer the mulakkada pappu pulusu into a serving bowl and serve with hot steamed rice.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.