Anapakaya allam karam
Anapakaya allam karam is a native dish of Andhra Pradesh. Anapakaya allam karam is a very healthy recipe and gives great relief to sore throats because it is prepared with ginger/allam. This is no onion no garlic recipe, so it can be prepared during vrat/fasting days. The recipe is so simple yet delicious. Bottle gourd/anapakaya is chopped into tiny pieces. Chopped bottle gourd is steamed, ginger green chili paste is added and tempering is done. Here I present an authentic recipe anapakaya allam karam with strong ginger flavour to relish anytime. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/curry
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Bottle gourd: 1 no. Medium sized
Ginger: 1 1/2- 2 inch piece
Green chillies: 2 nos.
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Sesame oil: 2 tsp
Bengal gram: 1 tsp
Split black gram with husk: 1 tsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch
Grated fresh/frozen coconut: 1 tsp (Optional).
Method of preparation:
1. Take one medium sized bottle gourd.
2. Rinse well and peel the skin. Cut them into small pieces and remove the seeds. Chop them again into tiny pieces.
3. Take a small pressure cooker, put the chopped bottle gourd pieces into it. Pour half glass of water into it. Steam them for two whistles on high flame. Switch off the flame.
4. Allow the pressure to settle down on its own. Open the lid of the pressure cooker.
5. Take a mixer grinder, put chopped ginger and two green chillies into it. Add required amount of salt and turmeric too.
6. Grind them to get coarse texture and put the mixture into steamed bottle gourd pieces.
7. Mix well and cook on low to medium flame for five minutes or till the extra water evaporates completely.
8. Now heat small kadai pour sesame oil for tempering.
9. Put Bengal gram, split black gram with husk, mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of Asafoetida into it. Also add few curry leaves and tsp of grated coconut. Switch off the flame.
10. Mix well and pour this tempering onto the bottle gourd mixture.
11. Mix thoroughly the tempering and sauté the curry for one more minute.
12. Switch off the flame and transfer the anapakaya allam karam into a serving bowl.
13. Now the delicious anapakaya allam karam is ready to serve. Serve the curry with hot steamed rice along with tomato chutney and drumstick rasam.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.