Upma is a South Indian breakfast with so many variations. The main ingredient is semolina or sooji or Bombay rava. Today I have prepared upma with sooji using milk instead of water for cooking. The Upma prepared with milk is so delicious and it just melts in mouth. This is very healthy and tasty too. For those reluctant to drinking milk, this Upma could be a good recipe. I’ve added chopped onions, ginger and green chilli. I’ve not added any vegetable to retain the richness of the milk. Here I present mouthwatering and mouth melting milk upma which can be served as a breakfast along with coconut chutney. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: South Indian
Sooji/ Bombay Rava: 1 cup(Small)
Milk: 2 cups (low fat)
Water: 1.5 cups
Oil: 1 tbsp
Ghee: 1 1/2 tsp
Salt: As required
Bengal gram: 1 tsp
Black gram: 1 tsp
Mustard: Half tsp
Cashews: 7/8 nos.
Curry leaves: A sprig
Onion: 1 no. Medium sized (Optional)
Ginger: One inch piece
Green chilli: 1 no.
Asafoetida: A pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Take one small cup of Rava in a kadai.
2. Heat kadai and roast the Rava on low flame stirring continuously.
3. Continue to roast the Rava till nice aroma comes.
4. Transfer the Rava onto a plate.
5. In the same kadai, pour oil and ghee.
6. Add Bengal gram, black gram and mustard seeds.
7. When they slightly change colour, add cashews and roast for a minute.
8. Meanwhile chop onion into thin slices and finely chop ginger, green chilli too.
9. Add them to the roasted ingredients and mix well.
10. Add a pinch of salt and sauté for two minutes till the onion pieces turn into translucent. Also add curry leaves.
11. Now add two cups of milk+one and half cups of water(The ratio of Rava to water and milk is 1:2:1.5; for one cup of Rava Add two cups of milk and 1.5 cups of water).
12. Keep on high flame and bring it to boil. Add required amount of salt.
13. When it comes to boiling point reduce the flame and slowly add roasted Bombay Rava stirring continuously without forming lumps.
14. Cook the Upma on low flame stirring at regular intervals. Close the lid.
15. After two minutes open the lid and stir again.
16. Continue to cook Upma on low flame. Now after three minutes, stir once again.
17. Cook the Upma on low flame till it leaves the sides of the kadai.
18. Switch off the flame and add half tsp of ghee. Mix thoroughly.
19. Now the delicious milk Upma is ready to serve.
20. Transfer the Milk Upma onto a serving plate and serve hot with coconut chutney.