Dal fry is a super easy and very handy recipe which goes well with steamed rice, jeera rice or roti/naan. I’ve made dal fry using three lentils(Pigeon peas, yellow lentils and Bengal gram). Tempering is done and chopped onion, tomato are sautéed in ghee, oil mixture. Steamed lentils are added to the sautéed onion and tomato mixture, furthermore cooked for few minutes to get nice consistency. Here I present simple yet delicious dal fry to relish anyday anytime as an accompaniment. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: North Indian
Red gram/pigeon peas/toor dal: 1 cup
Yellow lentils/moong dal: 4 tbsp
Bengal gram/chana dal: 2 tbsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Garam masala: Generous pinch
Coriander leaves: Few
Salt: As required
Kasuri methi: 1 tsp.
Oil: 1 1/2 tbsp
Ghee: 1 tsp.
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Red chillies: 3 nos.
Red chilli powder: Half tsp
Curry leaves: A sprig
Onion: 1 no. Small
Tomato: 1 no. Small
Asafoetida: A pinch
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Garlic flakes: 4/5 nos.
Method of preparation:
1. Take one cup of toor dal, 4 tbsp of moong dal and 2 tbsp of chana dal in a vessel.
2. Rinse well and add 3 cups of water into it. Add few drops of oil to get perfect texture.
3. Steam the dals in a pressure cooker for 5 whistles. Allow the pressure to settle down on its own.
4. Meanwhile rinse onion, tomato and chop them into tiny pieces.
5. Heat kadai, pour oil and ghee into it.
6. Put mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida, few curry leaves, red chillies and chopped garlic flakes into the tempering.
7. Mix well and add finely chopped onion pieces into it. Add generous pinch of turmeric too.
8. Sauté onion pieces on low flame till they turn into translucent. Now add chopped tomato and sauté till it’s cooked completely.
9. When tomato turn mushy add generous pinch of garam masala and cumin powder. Mix thoroughly and sauté for few seconds.
10. Now open the lid of the pressure cooker. Mix well with a ladle.
11. Now add steamed dal to the onion tomato mixture. Add one cup of water and kasuri methi too.
12. Mix well and continue cooking on low flame till right consistency is achieved.
13. Switch off the flame and add chopped coriander leaves.
14. Heat small kadai and pour little oil into it. Add one red chilli, few curry leaves and half tsp of red chilli powder. Switch off the flame.
15. Transfer the dal fry into a serving bowl. Add fried chilli mixture to the dal. Addition of red chilli powder in oil gives extra punch to the dal fry. Serve dal fry with steamed rice and enjoy the flavours.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.