Gummadikaya dappalam is a traditional dish of Andhrapradesh. The dish is prepared with yellow pumpkin. Gummadikaya dappalam goes well with steamed rice. The dish is prepared with diced yellow pumpkin and chopped onion pieces. Tempering is done in oil with mustard, cumin, red chilli and asafoetida. Yellow pumpkin and onion pieces are sautéed in the tempering. Fresh Spice powders are added to enhance the flavour. Pumpkin stew is prepared adding water and tamarind extract. Here I present sweet n tangy gummadikaya dappalam to relish with hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Small Yellow pumpkin: Half part
Onion: 1 no
Green chillies: 2 nos.
Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
Fenugreek/Methi seeds: 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida: Generous pinch
Tamarind: Lemon sized
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Water: 2 1/2 cups
Besan flour: 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder: Half tsp
Jaggery powder: Half tbsp
Coriander leaves: Few
Curry leaves: A sprig
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Red chilli: 1 no.
Asafoetida: A pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Take half portion of small yellow pumpkin. Remove the skin and dice them into big pieces. Immerse them in water and keep aside till we use.
2. Chop one big onion into thin slices and keep side.
3. Heat kadai, put one tsp of coriander seeds and few fenugreek/methi seeds.
4. Dry roast them on low flame till nice aroma comes.
5. Transfer the roasted ingredients onto a plate and allow it to cool down.
6. Heat kadai and pour oil for tempering. Put mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida and red chilli too.
7. Now add chopped onion pieces and mix thoroughly.
8. Sauté onions on low flame adding pinch of salt and turmeric too.
9. Sauté onion pieces till they turn into translucent.
10. Now add pumpkin pieces, curry leaves and sauté on low flame till they become soft.
11. Soak tamarind in enough water.
12. Meanwhile transfer the roasted ingredients into a mortar pestle.
13. Pound the roasted ingredients into a fine powder.
14. Transfer the powder onto a plate and add two pinches of asafoetida.
15. When the pumpkin pieces become soft add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
16. Now add water and bring into boil.
17. Slit green chillies and add them too.
18. Extract tamarind water and add the tamarind water to the boiling water mixture. Add required amount of salt too.
19. When it starts boiling add ground powder, jaggery powder and red chilli powder. Mix thoroughly and boil once again.
20. Take one tbsp of besan flour and mix with little water to get thin paste.
21. Add this to the boiling mixture. Stir continuously for one minute and boil furthermore till nice consistency is achieved. Switch off the flame.
22. Now the gummadikaya dappalam is ready to serve. Transfer it into a serving bowl and serve hot with steamed rice.
1. Addition of freshly roasted and ground coriander fenugreek seeds powder with asafoetida enhances the taste and gives mesmerizing flavour to the stew. Instead you can add homemade sambar powder too.
2. Usually we add asafoetida while preparing tempering, but in this recipe asafoetida is added while boiling stew as well as in the tempering. This gives very nice aroma to the stew/dappalam.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.