Chickpeas(Brown n white) + Black eyed peas + Green gram curry with melon seeds.
Today I’m posting one healthy and very tasty curry using chickpeas, black eyed peas and green gram along with melon seeds. Usually we prepare gravy curries using poppyseeds, cashews and coconut paste. In this recipe I’ve used melon seeds along with other spices. One of my friends, who is a yoga practitioner suggested this healthy recipe using melon seeds. The addition of melon seeds enhances the taste and also gives good consistency to the dish. Here I present a very healthy and yummilicious chickpeas + black eyed peas + green gram with melon seeds curry which can be served as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice or chapathi or even bread toast. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/Curries
Green gram: 1/4 th cup
Brown chickpeas: 1/4 th cup
White chickpeas: 1/4 th cup
Black eyed peas: 1/4 th cup
Caraway seeds/Shahjeera: 1 tsp
Onions: 2 nos. large
Tomatoes: 4 nos. large
Ginger garlic paste: 1 1/2 tsp
Garam masala: 1 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Kasuri methi: 1 tsp
Salt: As required
Fresh cream: 1/2- 1 tbsp
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Water: As required
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few
Oil: 3 tbsp
Melon seeds: 1 1/2 tbsp
Poppyseeds: 1 tbsp
Cashews: 1 tbsp
Fresh grated coconut: 1 tbsp
Green chilli: 1 no.
Method of preparation:
1. Take green gram, chickpeas(White n brown) and black eyed peas in a vessel. Rinse them with water and soak them overnight in enough water(Approximately 3 cups).
2. Next day morning after soaking the peas n green gram are ready to prepare the curry. Take 1 1/2 tbsp of melon seeds, 1 tbsp of poppyseeds, 1 tbsp of cashews and one tbsp of grated fresh coconut.
3. Heat kadai, first dry roast melon seeds, poppyseeds and cashews. Dry roast for a minute and add grated fresh coconut. Switch off the flame and mix thoroughly for a minute.
4. Transfer the roasted ingredients into a mixer grinder. Add one green chilli too.
5. Grind to a smooth powder and add half cup of water to get thick paste. Keep aside.
6. Now soaked lentils are ready to use.
7. Rinse well tomatoes and onions. Chop the onions and tomatoes into tiny pieces. Keep aside.
8. Heat small pressure cooker(3litre capacity). Pour oil and put shajeera into the oil. Fry for few seconds.
9. Now add chopped onion and mix well. Add a pinch of salt into it.
10. Sauté them on low flame till they change into translucent. Now add one tsp of ginger garlic paste into the sautéed onions. Sauté the mixture till raw smell goes away.
11. Now add chopped tomatoes into it and mix thoroughly.
12. Sauté them till they turn mushy.
13. Now add soaked chickpeas, black eyed peas and green gram along with water into the sautéed onion tomato mixture.
14. Add required amount of salt and generous pinch of turmeric into it. Keep the lid and pressure cook on low flame for 5 whistles or 10-15 whistles on high flame.
15. Allow the pressure to settle down on its own.
16. Now open the lid and bring it to boil. Roughly Mash the peas with a ladle.
17. After two minutes add ground paste and mix thoroughly. Add half cup of water to get desired consistency.
18. Add red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, kasuri methi, curry leaves and coriander leaves. Mix well and continue to boil.
19. Now add fresh cream and boil furthermore for one minute.
20. Switch off the flame. Now the delicious curry is ready to serve.
21. Transfer the curry into a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice or Roti.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.