Double ka meeta
“Double ka meeta” – A Hyderabad’s delectable dessert. Be it a small gathering or grand wedding this Hyderabad’s delicacy is a must. It is so simple and easy to prepare in twenty minutes. Bread slices are toasted in ghee(Traditionally the bread slices are deep fried in ghee, but it absorbs enormous amount of ghee). To avoid excess absorption of ghee, I’ve toasted them on tawa using little ghee. Toasted bread slices are dipped in sugar syrup, later they are arranged in a bowl. Saffron milk is poured over the sweetened bread slices and garnished with roasted dry fruits. Here I present mouth melting double ka meeta which can be served anytime. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: Hyderabad(Telangana), India
Bread slices: 6/7 nos.
Sugar: 3/4 th cup + 3 tsp
Water: 3/4 th cup
Cardamom pods: 6/7 nos.
Saffron strands: Few
Milk: One cup
Dry fruits: Few(Almonds, cashews, raisins n pistachios)
Ghee: 2 tsp(Toasting bread slices) + 1 tbsp(For roasting dry fruits)
Method of preparation:
1. Take seven bread slices. Trim the edges carefully and slice them into triangles or any desired shape.
2. Heat tawa/pan, pour one tsp of ghee and spread evenly onto the tawa.
3. Toast the triangular bread slices on the tawa till they change into golden brown colour.
4. Turn the other side and toast them till they change colour.
5. Transfer the toasted bread slices(First batch) onto a plate.
6. Likewise toast the remaining bread slices on both sides and transfer them too onto the plate. Keep aside.
7. Meanwhile take 3/4 th cup of sugar in a vessel.
8. Now add three fourth cup of water into the vessel which contains sugar.
9. Mix thoroughly and allow the sugar to melt. Boil the sugar solution.
10. Crush cardamom pods and 3/4 saffron strands in a mortar pestle.
11. When the sugar solution starts boiling add the crushed cardamom and saffron powder into it.
12. Boil the sugar solution for 3/4 minutes.
13. Take one cup of milk in a different vessel.
14. Add remaining saffron strands to the milk and bring the milk to boil.
15. Continue to boil the milk for 10-15 minutes or till it reduces to half. Add 3 tsp of sugar and mix thoroughly while boiling. Switch off the flame and keep aside.
16. Now dip bread slices(2/3 at a time) into the sugar syrup for few seconds.
17. Dip all the bread slices similarly and arrange them in a bowl.
18. Heat small kadai pour one tbsp of ghee into it. Crush the dry fruits slightly in a mortar pestle and roast them in ghee.
19. Now pour the saffron milk onto the sweetened bread slices. Also drizzle roasted dry fruits. Now the yummilicious double ka meeta is ready to serve.
20. Transfer the double ka meeta onto a serving plate and enjoy. It can be refrigerated and serve chilled for a day or two.
White bread gives best results to prepare double ka meeta.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.