Are you bored with regular chutney varieties for South Indian breakfasts, then definitely Maagaaya pachadi would be a great accompaniment to idly or dosa. Maagaya pachadi is prepared with Maagaya pickle. Leftover or sour curd is used to prepare this recipe. This pachadi can be prepared either with fresh Maagaaya or old Maagaaya too. One tbsp of Maagaaya is ground with roasted spices. The ground paste is added to the curd and mixed thoroughly. Tempering is done with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida. Here I present a very tasty Maagaaya pachadi to relish this summer as a side dish to steamed rice or idly or dosa. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Curd: 500 ml or 2 cups
Maagaaya pickle: 1 tbsp
Green chillies: 2 nos.
Coriander leaves: One small bunch
Black gram: 2 tsp
Coriander seeds: 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: Few(6/7 nos.)
Cumin seeds: 2 tsp
Oil: 2 tsp
Salt: As required
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch
Onion: 1 no. Small
Curry leaves: Few
Method of preparation:
1. Take 500 ml of sour curd in a bowl. Keep aside.
2. Now heat kadai and pour little oil for roasting ingredients. Put black gram, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Roast them till they change colour. Switch off the flame and transfer onto a plate and allow to cool down for 5 minutes.
3. Now Transfer the roasted ingredients into a mixer grinder.
4. Grind the roasted ingredients into fine powder.
5. Now add one tbsp of Maagaaya pickle and two green chillies into it.
6. Grind once again and add coriander leaves.
7. Now use pulse button to mix ground paste with coriander leaves.
8. Now add this ground paste to the curd. Mix well using a wired whisk.
9. Heat kadai and pour oil for tempering. Put mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida and switch off the flame.
10. Now pour this tempering onto the curd mixture. Keep some tempering to prepare another simple variation. Mix thoroughly curd mixture with the tempering.
11. Now the tasty Maagaaya pachadi is ready to serve.
12. Serve Maagaaya pachadi with hot idlies along with any chutney powder.
13. The above recipe is used to serve as an accompaniment to idly or dosa. If you want to serve this for hot steamed rice, just add sautéed onion pieces along with prepared tempering. Usually we serve Maagaaya pachadi for breakfast without adding onions. Later whatever is leftover is mixed with sautéed onion pieces.
14. Use the remaining tempering.
15. Take one small onion and chop it into fine pieces.
16. Heat the kadai with Remaining tempering and add the chopped onion pieces.
17. Sauté well for two minutes and add few curry leaves.
18. Mix well and sauté till they turn into translucent. Switch off the flame and allow to cool down.
19. Now add the sautéed onions to the leftover Maagaaya pachadi. Mix thoroughly.
20. Maagaaya pachadi with sautéed onions is ready to serve. This is called midusu. Both variants taste amazing. Serve the Midusu with hot steamed rice
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.