Bellam avakaya is mango avakaya which is prepared with bellam/jaggery powder. This recipe is pretty much popular in Visakhapatnam region of Andhra Pradesh. This is almost similar to normal mango avakaya except the addition of jaggery powder. Avakaya is prepared with mangoes and jaggery powder is added. The prepared avakaya is kept under sun for two days to increase its shelf life. Here I present delicious bellam avakaya to relish with hot steamed rice, curd rice, idly or dosa. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Raw mangoes: 3 nos.
Red chilli powder: 5 tbsp
Salt: As required
Sesame oil: One and half cup or mango pieces should immerse in oil
Mustard powder: 3 tbsp
Jaggery powder: One small cup
Turmeric: 2 tsp
Method of preparation:
1. Rinse mangoes well with water and dry them completely. Cut the mangoes into big chunks. My mangoes are sour but slightly turned into yellow colour. I’ve made bellam avakaya with just three mangoes.
2. Take a mixer grinder and grind the mustard seeds into fine powder. Take a broad vessel and put mango pieces. Add mustard powder, red chilli powder, required amount of salt, turmeric and jaggery powder. Mix thoroughly and add sesame oil into it.
3. Mix thoroughly all the ingredients and store the container for three days.
4. On fourth day keep the bowl during day time under sun.
5. On fifth day also keep the bowl during daytime under sun and later check for salt and add if required.
6. Transfer the avakaya in an airtight container. Now the bellam avakaya is ready to serve. The shelf life of the avakaya is 2 months if refrigerated.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.