Vakkaya is called pickle berry in English. Recipes with vakkaya are popular in coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh. We can prepare rice, dal or chutney with vakkayalu. Today I’m posting vakkaya pappu/dal. The dal is prepared with vakkayalu and kandi pappu. The dal almost tastes like mango pappu unless otherwise mentioned about it. Pigeon peas/kandi pappu and pickle berries are steamed in a pressure cooker. Tempering is done with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, a pinch of asafoetida and garlic flakes. Here I present tangy and spicy vakkaya pappu to relish with hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Vakkayalu: One cup
Kandi pappu: 1 cup
Water: 2 1/2 to 3 cups
Red chilli powder: 3/4 th tsp
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Salt: As required
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 3/4 th tsp
Cumin: 3/4 th tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch
Garlic flakes: 5/6 nos.
Green chilli: 1 no.
Curry leaves: A sprig
Method of preparation:
1. Take one cup of vakkayalu. Usually vakkayalu will be green and red colour combination. But I’ve got here white and dark pink combination. I’ve got them from one of my friends mom’s garden. They are very fresh and tangy too(One cup of vakkayalu yield very tangy pappu, so you can adjust the quantity accordingly).
2. Rinse them with water and remove the seeds present in them. Keep aside.
3. Take one cup of toor dal/kandi pappu.
4. Rinse them with water and add two and half cups of water.
5. Keep the kandi pappu and vakkayalu separately in pressure cooker. Steam them along with rice for 5/6 whistles. Switch off the flame and allow to completely cool down.
6. Open the lid of the pressure cooker. Take out the steamed dal and vakkayalu.
7. Transfer the steamed toor dal and vakkayalu into a heavy bottomed vessel.
8. Mix well and add turmeric, required amount of salt and red chilli powder.
9. Stir continuously for few seconds and bring it to boil.
10. Boil for five minutes and switch off the flame. If required add half cup of water.
11. Now heat kadai and pour oil for tempering. Put mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add garlic flakes, a pinch of asafoetida and few curry leaves. Also add one roughly chopped green chilli. Fry for few seconds and switch off the flame.
12. Pour the tempering onto the dal.
13. Now the vakkaya pappu is ready to serve. Mix well and Garnish with few chopped coriander leaves.
14. Transfer the vakkaya pappu into a serving bowl.
15. Serve hot with steamed rice.