Pulagam is no tempered version of ven Pongal. As ven Pongal is for Tamilians, pulagam is for Telugu people. Pulagam is prepared as one of the naivedhyams to God especially for Varalakshmi pooja. Pulagam is very good for health and this is served to girls for five days who just entered into puberty. It is easy to digest and light in stomach. Pulagam is prepared with rice and moong dal/yellow gram. Pulagam is cooked like steamed rice only. Here I present healthy and traditional recipe pulagam which can be served along with any curry or sambar topped with ghee. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Main dish
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Rice(Sona masoori variety): One small cup
Moong dal/yellow gram: One fourth of small cup
Water: 3.5 cups(Small)
Turmeric: A pinch
Salt: As required
Ghee: Half tsp or as required.
Method of preparation:
- Take one small cup of rice and one fourth cup of yellow gram/moong dal in a vessel.
- Rinse well with water once and add three and half cups of water. Add a pinch of turmeric into it.
- Steam the rice and moong dal in a pressure cooker for five whistles. Allow the pressure to settle down on its own.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Add required amount of salt and drizzle little ghee and mix thoroughly.
- Now the simple and humble pulagam recipe is ready to offer as naivedhyam to God. It can be served along with any South Indian accompaniment like steamed rice.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.