Rice flakes upma
Kids friendly breakfast or evening snack too. Rice flakes upma is prepared with South Indian tempering. This is no onion no garlic recipe.Rice flakes are rinsed well with water and drained excess water completely. Tempering is prepared in oil with peanuts, Bengal gram, split black gram with husk and mustard seeds. Curry leaves, turmeric, asafoetida and green chilli are also added. Rice flakes are mixed thoroughly with the tempering and served. Here I present easy n quick rice flakes upma which can be served as breakfast or as evening snack for school going kids. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: South Indian
Thick Rice flakes: 1 – 1 1/2 cups
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Salt: As required
Green chilli: 1 no.
Oil: Half tbsp
Bengal gram: 1 tsp
Split black gram with husk: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Peanuts: Half tbsp
Curry leaves: A sprig
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
- Take one cup of thick rice flakes, rinse well with water and drain the excess water and keep aside for five minutes to become soft. Meanwhile prepare tempering.
- Heat kadai and pour half tbsp oil for tempering. Put half tbsp of peanuts, one tsp Bengal gram, one tsp split black gram with husk and mustard seeds.
- When mustard splutter add asafoetida, chopped one green chilli and few curry leaves too. Also add Generous pinch of turmeric.
- Now add rice flakes and mix thoroughly. Add required amount of salt too. If required sprinkle little water.
- Mix thoroughly and Serve rice flakes upma with cup of milk for kids.
Small variation – Lemon Rice flakes/pulihora atukulu
After preparing upma, just squeeze half lemon into the upma and also add few fried cashews then it turns into yummy pulihora atukulu. Pulihora atukulu can be served along with small tumbler of buttermilk.
The above two variations are no onion no garlic recipes, so the recipes can be prepared during fasting days or for pooja naivedhyams.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.