Beans Ava Petti Koora (Beans mustard curry)
Beans: 250 gms
Mustard seeds: 1 tbsp
Green chillies: 3/4 nos
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Channa dal: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Oil for frying
Salt: As required
Curry leaves: A sprig
Hing: A pinch
Grated fresh coconut: 1tbsp(optional)
Method of preparation:
- Clean the Beans thoroughly and cut them into small pieces. Place them in a plate and steam boil in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Wait till the pressure settles and open the lid. Drain any excess water.Tip: This water can be used for sambar or any vegetable soup.
- Now heat kadai/non stick pan. Add 1 tbsp of oil, wait for a minute till, add mustard, urad dal, chana dal and jeera (cumin seeds).
- When mustard pops out add pinch of hing, turmeric and pressure cooked beans. Add curry leaves also.
- Mix well and fry the beans adding required amount of salt till the moisture evaporates. This process will take approximately 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and allow it cool down.
- Meanwhile take a mixer and grind 1 tsp of mustard seeds till it become a smooth fine powder. Now add 3/4 green chillies adding little water to it to become smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the beans curry and mix evenly.
- Beans Ava curry is ready to serve with rice / chapathi.
- Whenever we make Ava (mustard) curries the Ava paste should be added at the end once it cools down to avoid bitter taste.
- Usually vegetables like Beans, carrot and plantain I steam boil them in pressure cooker along with rice In order to save fuel and time.
- Fresh grated coconut can also be added to this curry for additional flavor.