Bread bhaji is almost similar to pav bhaji. Instead of Pav buns I’ve used normal sandwich bread. This is quite simple and easy recipe loaded with vegetables which are readily available at home. Veggies are steamed and mashed thoroughly. Coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, red chilli powder and Pav bhaji masala powders are added. Thick gravy curry(Bhaji) is prepared and bread slices are toasted with ghee/butter. Here I present very tasty bread bhaji to relish as a breakfast/lunch or evening snack or dinner too. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Evening snacks/Dinner
Cuisine: North Indian
Potatoes: 2 nos. medium sized
Carrots: 2 nos.
French beans: Few(10-15 nos.)
Green peas: One fistful
Onion: 1 no. Big
Tomatoes: 3 nos.
Coriander leaves: One bunch
Ginger: One inch piece
Garlic: 5/6 nos.
Capsicum: 1 no. Small
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Pav bhaji masala: 2 tsp
Garam masala: 1 tsp(Optional)
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Salt: As required
Oil: 3 tbsp
Ghee: 2 tsp
Butter: 1/2 tsp
Bread slices: 8 -10 and required amount of ghee/butter for toasting.
Method of preparation:
1. Take veggies and rinse them well with water. Peel the skin of potatoes and carrots. Chop the veggies into required size and shape. Keep aside.
2. Heat small pressure cooker(3l capacity) and pour oil into it.
3. Put finely chopped onion and sauté till onion pieces turn into translucent.
4. Meanwhile take ginger pieces and garlic flakes in a mortar pestle.
5. Crush them into a coarse paste. I’ve prepared fresh paste, instead you can add store bought ginger garlic paste.
6. When the onion pieces become translucent add crushed ginger garlic paste into it. Mix well and sauté till the raw smell goes away.
7. Now add chopped tomato pieces.
8. Sauté the onion tomato mixture till tomato pieces turn mushy.
9. Now add all chopped veggies except capsicum. Add three cups of water and generous amount of turmeric too.
10. Keep the lid and pressure cook on low flame for two whistles. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to settle down on its own.
11. After few minutes open the lid of the pressure cooker. Add two tsp of ghee. You can add butter instead of ghee. Mash the veggies with ladle itself or using potato masher.
12. Now add coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, Pav bhaji masala and red chilli powder. Also add required amount of salt. Mix thoroughly and boil once again. If required add one cup of water.
13. Boil for five minutes and add finely chopped capsicum pieces. Boil for two minutes and switch off the flame. Capsicum pieces give nice flavour and crunch to the gravy. Capsicum shouldn’t be over cooked to retain its crunchiness and taste.
14. Rinse well one bunch of coriander leaves.
15. Now add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix thoroughly.
16. Now the delicious bhaji curry is ready to serve hot.
17. Toast required number of bread slices on tawa drizzling butter or ghee.
18. Serve toasted bread with thick bhaji along with chopped onion pieces, coriander leaves and lemon wedges. Also put one dollop of butter onto the bhaji before serving. Enjoy bread bhaji as an evening snack or dinner too.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.