Beerakaya pappu/turai dal/ridge gourd lentils
Beerakaya pappu is no onion no garlic recipe. So this pappu can be prepared during festive/fasting days. Beerakaya dal is prepared with ridge gourd(Beerakaya) and pigeon pea(Kandi pappu). Beerakaya pappu is very tasty especially when served with hot steamed rice topped with melted ghee. Here I present yummy beerakaya pappu to relish on any day. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Kandi pappu/pigeon peas: 2 cups
Beerakayalu: 2 nos.(Small)
Tomatoes: Two nos.
Green chillies: 3/4 nos.
Salt: As required
Red chilli powder: 1 teaspoon
Turmeric: Half teaspoon
Curry leaves: Few
Coriander leaves: Few
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard: 1 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin: 1 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli: 1 teaspoon
Hing: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 2 cups of kandi pappu in a small(3 litre capacity) pressure cooker and dry roast till nice aroma comes.
2. Rinse well with water and add five cups of water. Add turmeric into it.
3. Mix well and bring it to boil.
4. Meanwhile take two small sized ridge gourds, rinse well with water and peel the skin of them. Chop them into one inch pieces. Also chop two tomatoes into big pieces.
5. Now add chopped ridge gourds, chopped tomatoes and green chillies to the boiling dal.
6. Mix well with a ladle and keep the lid. Pressure cook the dal and chopped ridge gourds with tomato pieces on low flame for 2 whistles. This will take approximately 15-20 minutes. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to cool down on its own.
7. Now open the lid, mix well with a ladle and add required amount of salt.
8. Now add curry leaves and bring it boil.
9. Heat small kadai, pour oil for tempering. Put mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of hing and broken red chilli into it. Switch off the flame. Pour this tempering onto the dal.
10. Mix thoroughly. Now add chopped coriander leaves and red chilli powder. Cook the ridge gourd dal for two more minutes and switch off the flame.
11. Transfer the Beerakaya pappu/ridge gourd dal into a serving bowl. Serve the Beerakaya pappu with hot steamed rice topped with melted ghee and enjoy the flavours.
1. I’ve prepared the ridge gourd dal with two cups of toor dal and two ridge gourds. The quantity I’ve prepared yields 10 servings. Because I’ve prepared this dal when guests visit my place. Reduce the quantity according to your family requirement.
2. I’ve added chopped tomato. Instead you can add tamarind water.
3. This dal can also be prepared with moong dal(Yellow dal)/pesara pappu.
4. I’ve added ridge gourd pieces when the toor dal with water start boiling. Otherwise the ridge gourd pieces turn mushy.