Beerakaya vulli karam
Beerakaya vulli karam is another recipe from Andhra cuisine. This curry can be prepared on any special occasions like birthdays, potluck or to treat guests. I’ve prepared ridge gourd curry using onion gravy and curry powder. If curry powder is readily available, just in no time with less effort we can prepare this simple yet delicious curry. The speciality of the curry is it doesn’t require any tempering. Here I present tasty ridge gourd onion gravy(beerakayavulli karam) to serve as an accompaniment for hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Ridge gourd: 3 large nos.
Onion: 3 nos.(Big size)
Curry powder: 5 tbsp
Red chilli powder: 2 tsp
Salt: As required
Oil: 3 tbsp(Preferably sesame oil)
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Hing: A pinch.
Curry leaves:A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 3 large ridge gourds rinse well. Peel the skin and chop them into 1 1/2inch pieces.
2. Take a vessel, cook the ridge gourd pieces in enough water for 10 minutes keeping on high flame.
3. Meanwhile, roughly chop the onions. Pour one tbsp of oil into it and add chopped oinions.
4. Fry the onions till they turn into translucent and transfer onto a plate. Allow it to cool down and grind to a coarse paste.
5. In the same kadai pour remaining oil and add a pinch of hing and turmeric into it. put ridge gourd pieces into it and fry for two minutes.
6. Now add coarse onion paste and mix thoroughly
7. Now add curry powder and mix well.
8. After adding curry powder also add red chilli powder and mix thoroughly. Fry for 2 more minutes on low flame. If required add half cup of water.
9. Add curry leaves and mix thoroughly.
10. Now the tasty beerakaya vulli karam(Ridge gourd onion gravy) is ready to serve hot. Garnish with coriander leaves.
If the curry powder is not readily available,heat kadai drizzle little oil. Now add 2 tbsp of chana dal,1 tbsp of urad dal, 2 tbsp of coriander seeds and 2 tsp of cumin seeds.Roast them on low flame till they change into golden brown colour. Add 6/7 red chillies and roast them too. Make them into coarse powder and add to the curry. If your making fresh powder no need to add red chilli powder. Please check my Koora Podi (Curry Powder) or Andhra Curry Powder.