Dondakaya gutti kura
Dondakaya gutti kura is from Andhra cuisine. This curry is as popular as Gutti vankaya kura. The recipe is simple and very tasty. It goes well with hot steamed rice or pulka. Dondakaya/Ivy gourd is cut into four parts lengthwise keeping base intact. Ivy gourds are shallow fried. Masala is prepared with chopped onion, grated coconut, cumin red chillies along with required amount of salt. The ground masala is stuffed into the shallow fried Ivy gourds and then sautéed till raw smell goes away. Here I present flavourful dondakaya gutti kura to relish anytime. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Dondakaya/Ivy gourd: 250 gms(Approximately)
Onions: 4 nos. medium sized
Grated fresh coconut: 2 tbsp
Red chillies: 8/10 nos.(Adjust according to your preference)
Salt: As required
Cumin: 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves: Few for garnishing
Oil: 3 tbsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 250 gms of Ivy gourd, rinse well with water thoroughly. Slit them lengthwise into four parts keeping base intact.
2. Heat kadai and pour oil. This curry requires more oil compared to other curry dishes.
3. Put the Ivy gourds in hot oil and shallow fry them on medium to high flame. Stir them frequently
4. Fry them till they are completely done.
5. Transfer them onto a plate and allow them to cool down completely. Keep the remaining oil in the kadai itself to fry the stuffed Ivy gourds.
6. Meanwhile take four onions, rinse them well with water. Roughly chop them.
7. Take a mixer grinder put the chopped onion pieces, grated fresh coconut, red chillies and cumin seeds. Add required amount of salt too.
8. Grind them to a smooth paste without adding any water. Transfer the ground paste into a bowl.
10. Now stuff the Ivy gourds with ground paste one by one.
11. Heat kadai and place the stuffed Ivy gourds back into the kadai.
12. Carefully mix them and fry on low flame. After stuffing the Ivy gourds put the remaining masala too onto them.
13. Fry them on low flame stirring occasionally. Keep the lid.
14. Fry the stuffed Ivy gourds till the raw smell goes away.
15. Now the tasty dondakaya gutti kura is ready to serve. Transfer the curry into a serving bowl.
16. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.
1. I’ve not added ginger and garlic. If you prefer both can be added.
2. Instead of shallow frying in oil, Ivy gourds can be cooked in enough water for five minutes keeping on high flame and proceed the same as above.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.