Gasagasalu is a popular spice which is extensively used in Indian cooking. It has unique flavour and taste. The health benefits are amazing. They are good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Poppy seeds help to cure sleep disorders. It is used in the preparation of gravies for consistency and flavour, desserts for garnishing and also spice powders. Today I’ve prepared spice powder using gasagasalu. Gasagasalu, poppy seeds in English, gasagase in Kannada, khasakhasa in Tamil, khuskhus in Hindi. Various dishes are prepared in different regions depending upon their traditions. One such recipe prepared using poppy seeds is poppy seeds powder. The recipe is from Andhra cuisine. No Andhra meal is completed without pickles and powders. This recipe is for spice powder lovers. Bengal gram, black gram, coriander seeds are roasted and poppy seeds are added along with red chillies. Required amount of salt is added and ground to a semi fine powder. Here I present a very tasty and spicy Gasagasalu podi to relish anytime with hot steamed rice and melted ghee. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Poppy seeds: 5 tbsp
Bengal gram: 1 1/2 tbsp
Black gram: 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds: 1 tbsp
Red chillies: 7/8 nos.
Salt: As required
Method of preparation:
1. Heat kadai and put 1 1/2 tbsp of Bengal gram and black gram into it. Roast them on low flame stirring continuously.
2. When they slightly change colour add coriander seeds. Mix well and roast for two minutes.
3. Now add poppy seeds/gasagasalu into it and mix well. Just fry for a minute and switch off the flame.
4. Now add red chillies, mix thoroughly and transfer them onto a plate. Add required amount of salt too. Allow them to cool down to normal temperature.
5. Take a mixer grinder and put all the roasted and cooled ingredients.
6. Grind them to a semi fine powder.
7. Transfer the powder into an airtight container and leave it for two minutes. Close the lid and use it whenever required.
8. One tsp of powder is mixed with one ladle of hot steamed rice and melted ghee. Mix well and enjoy.
9. The mixed rice is served along with any poriyal/stir fry.