Methi roti can be served as a breakfast or dinner too. Methi roti is very healthy and filling breakfast. Methi leaves are good for diabetes. Methi leaves are added to the wheat flour and dough is prepared to make rotis. Methi rotis are served with any curry, raita or even with pickle too. Here I present methi roti which is served with onion raita and lemon pickle. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: North Indian
Wheat flour/Atta: 1 1/2 – 2 cups
Fenugreek/methi leaves: one small bunch or one fistful
Salt: As required
Oil: 1 tsp for dough
Oil/ghee: For roasting rotis
Water: Required amount to prepare dough(Approximately half cup n little more)
Method of preparation:
1. Pluck the fenugreek leaves from the stem. Rinse well methi leaves with water and drain them. Roughly chop them.
2. Take 1 1/2 – 2 cups of wheat flour in a broad vessel. Add chopped fenugreek leaves, salt and one tsp of oil. Mix thoroughly all the ingredients adding required amount of water.
3. Knead the dough for two minutes and keep aside for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile prepare onion raita or any curry.
5. Now take the dough and make equal size balls.
6. Dust each ball with wheat flour and roll the rotis.
7. Roll each ball with rolling pin into circular or any required shape.
8. To get layered rotis, roll the roti into circular shape. Now fold the roti into half.
9. Now dust with flour and again fold into half to get sector shape.
10. Again dust with little flour and roll the roti into thin sector shape.
11. Likewise roll the all rotis into required size and shape.
12. Heat tawa or griddle, drizzle little oil for seasoning. Now put the rolled roti onto the tawa and roast on both sides. Drizzle oil/ghee onto the roti.
13. Roast all the rotis similarly and transfer them into an insulated casserole.
14. Now the hot methi rotis are ready to serve.
15. Serve methi rotis with onion raita or lemon pickle.
If fresh methi leaves are not readily available, one tsp of kasuri methi (Dried fenugreek leaves) can be added to the flour. Remaining procedure is same as above. I’ve prepared methi rotis with kasuri methi too. I’ve prepared them in different geometrical shapes. Kids would love to have them anytime. Serve the methi rotis with any curry or raita. I’ve served the rotis with potato curry.
Please click on the below links for detailed recipes of onion raita, potato curry and lemon pickle.