Palakura bachalikura pachadi/Spinach and Malabar spinach chutney
Spinach + Malabar spinach chutney – ‘A wonderful and healthy combination”. This chutney is an amazing accompaniment to hot steamed rice topped with melted ghee. I’ve prepared the pachadi by taking equal quantities of spinach and Malabar spinach. Adjust the quantities according to your family preference. The chutney is prepared using a marble mortar pestle. The chutney(roti pachadi) which is prepared this way yields very good texture with incredible taste. Here I present palakura bachalikura pachadi to enjoy with hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Spinach/palakura: 3 bunches
Malabar spinach/bachali kura: 3 bunches
Oil: 1 1/2 tbsp
Bengal gram: 1 tsp
Black gram: 1 tsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
Red chillies: 10 nos.
Tamarind: Small lemon size
Salt: As required
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Rinse well the spinach and Malabar spinach leaves and keep aside.
2. Heat kadai, pour oil. Put Bengal gram, black gram, mustard and coriander seeds. Fry them till they change into golden brown colour. Now add red chillies and fry for a minute.
3. Transfer the tempering onto a plate.
4. Now in the same kadai, put the spinach and Malabar leaves together.
5. Sauté them on low flame till they are cooked completely.
6. Switch off the flame and allow them to cool down to normal temperature.
7. Take a marble mortar pestle, first put half of the roasted tempering into it.
8. Crush them into a coarse powder using pestle. Add required amount of salt into it. Crush them again.
9. Now add tamarind and crush to get coarse texture.
10. Add sautéed green leaves to the crushed mixture.
11. Pound the sautéed leaves till they get mixed with spices and get good texture. Add the remaining tempering and mix thoroughly.
12. Transfer the pachadi into a serving bowl. Now the palakura bachalikura pachadi is ready to serve with hot steamed rice.