Potato(Aloo) curry for poori
Potato curry is best accompaniment for poori any time. This is very simple and easy recipe. Just the potatoes and onions are good enough to make this curry in very short time. This recipe can be easily prepared in a pressure cooker. Potato/Aloo curry I have prepared for poori can be served along with rotis,pulkas n chapatis too. Here I present quick potato curry for poori to relish any day. Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Potatoes: 3 large
Onions: 3 large
Green chillies: 3
Salt: As required
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: few
Oil: 1 tbsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp(Optional).
Hing: A pinch
Curry leaves: few.
Coriander leaves: few(For garnishing)
Method of preparation:
1. Rinse and peel the skin of potatoes and onions one by one.
2. Dice the potatoes and onions into small cubes.
3. Take a small pressure cooker and put diced onions, potatoes Along with 3 green chillies and one cup of water into it.
4. Pressure cook them for 2 whistles on low flame.
5. Once the pressure settles down open the lid of the pressure cooker. Keep aside.
6. Heat kadai pour oil. Add the tempering ingredients urad dal, Chana dal, mustard seeds n cumin seeds.
7. Once mustard seeds splutter add a pinch of Hing into it.
8. Now add the boiled potato n onion mixture to the tempering.
9. Mix thoroughly the mixture and add curry leaves too.
10. Cook the curry on low flame till we get the right consistency.
11. Meanwhile prepare pooris with wheat flour.
12. To prepare pooris take one cup of wheat flour and 1/3 cup of water(approximately)adding lil’ salt. Knead the dough thoroughly. The dough should be hard and stiff otherwise pooris drink oil during deep frying.
13. Deep Fry the pooris on both sides in the oil.
14. Transfer the pooris using perforated spoon onto a kitchen paper towel to absorb excess oil present in them.
15. Pooris are ready and the aloo curry is prepared.
16. Garnish the aloo curry with coriander leaves and Serve hot and soft pooris with aloo curry.
1. Another variation to aloo curry.Take one tablespoon of besan flour to one and half cup of water and mix thoroughly. Add this to the curry mixture and allow to boil for 5 more minutes. Add the besan flour with water after step 9. Carrot and peas also can be added while boiling potatoes and onions. Remaining procedure is the same as above.
2. To get soft pooris add 1 tbsp of oil or ghee while preparing dough for pooris. Ghee gives nice aroma to the pooris.
3. To get puffy pooris add 1/4 tsp sugar along with ghee to the wheat flour and prepare the dough. Roll the pooris uniformly into round shape. Sugar helps pooris to remain puffy for long time. While frying pooris in hot oil, slightly give pressure onto the pooris with perforated spoon. This helps pooris to puff up well.