Potlakaya pindimirium is Nellore’s delicacy. This is a wonderful winter recipe with a predominant pepper flavour. This is similar to Tamil dish kootu with a hint of pepper. This is very healthy and comforting food. I’ve posted drumstick pindi mirium, potato pindimirium in my earlier recipes. For preparing drumstick pindimirium I’ve used freshly ground spices. To prepare this recipe I’ve used home made fresh rasam powder to make it simple. This recipe also tastes amazing. Here I present Potlakaya pindimirium which is served as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice along with home made finger millet papadams(Ragi vadiyalu). Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: Andhra, Indian
Potlakaya/Snake gourd: 1 no. Small
Moong dal: 3/4 th cup
Rasam powder: 2 tsp
Salt: As required
Ghee: 1 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Red chilli: 1 no.
Curry leaves: A Sprig
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take one small gourd, rinse well with water.
2. Cut the edges and chop the snake gourd into small rings.
3. Remove the seeds and keep aside.
4. Now take 3/4 th cup moong dal in a vessel. Rinse with water. Now put the chopped snake gourd rings. Add generous pinch of turmeric too.
5. Cook the chopped snake gourd and moong dal on low flame stirring at regular intervals.
6. When the moong dal becomes soft, add two tsp of rasam powder and required amount of salt into it. Mix thoroughly.
7. Boil for two more minutes and switch off the flame.
8. Heat small kadai and pour ghee for tempering.
9. Put mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter, add a pinch of asafoetida, broken red chilli and curry leaves. Switch off the flame.
10. Pour this tempering onto the potlakaya pindimirium.
11. Now the delicious potlakaya pindimirium is ready to serve.
12. Serve hot Potlakaya pindimirium with home made Ragi vadiyalu.
1. I’ve not added coconut. If you like, add either grated fresh coconut or copra powder. Before adding dry roast the copra powder/fresh coconut for a minute and thoroughly mix with kootu.
2. Tempering with ghee gives an amazing flavour to the recipe.