An authentic meal either lunch or dinner cannot be completed without curd rice.Curd rice belongs to Indians completely.Its popular in South India.Actually curd rice is offered to god in Vaishnavite temples or during any festive days.It is called as “dadyodanam”(Sanskrit word),means the cooked rice which is made with curd.Curd rice with just the tempering is good enough to soothe our taste buds on any busy day.Here I present curd rice with majjiga mirapakayalu(Mor milagai or sun dried green chillies) as an accompaniment. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Raw rice: 1 cup
Thick Curd: 3 cups
Salt: as required
Water: 3 cups(For cooking rice)
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cashews: 1 tsp
Raisins: 1 tsp
Ginger: half inch piece( Finely chopped)
Whole pepper corns: 5/6 nos.
Hing: A pinch
Pomegranate seeds: 1 tbsp(For garnishing)
Majjiga mirapakayalu : 4/5 nos.
oil: 1 tsp(For frying maggiga mirapakayalu).
Method of preparation:
1. Take one cup of rice rinse with water thoroughly , drain the water and add 3 cups of water to it.Pressure cook for 5 whistles. Once the pressure settles take the vessel with cooked rice out .
2. Mash it with spatula when it’s hot only. It turns to smooth texture.Allow the rice to cool down.
3.Meanwhile put small kadai pour 1 tbsp ghee, heat it. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal . When mustard pops out add cashews,raisins,finely chopped ginger , pepper corns and curry leaves. Fry all of these for a minute. Transfer this onto a plate and keep aside.
4.Add 3 cups of curd to the mashed rice with salt. Mix thoroughly.
6. In the same kadai heat 1 tsp of oil and fry majjiga mirapakayalu till they turn into brown colour.
7. Now add the tempering to the curd rice along with majjiga mirapakayalu and garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Now the curd rice is ready and can be served with mango or lemon pickle.
- we can make curd rice even with left over rice.Mash it wih hand , add curd,salt and do the tempering.
- when making curd rice with fresh cooked rice see that it should cool down to room temparature otherwise it curdles.
- You can do the tempering with ghee or any vegatable oil.