Celebrate the Festival of Lights/Diwali with bottle gourd halwa!The halwa is mouth watering with it’s amazing fragrance and taste. If you are bored with regular savoury dishes with bottle gourd like curry, dal or pulusu definitely the halwa is a very good choice. Kids love to have the halwa any time. Here I present yummilicious sweet bottle gourd halwa/Sorakaya halwa which can be served after meal or anytime. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Bottle gourd: 1 no. (Yields one and a half cup grated bottle gourd for the variety I’ve used)
Sugar: half cup
Milk: 1- 1 1/2 cups
Cardamom pods: 5/6 nos.
Dry fruits: Fistful(Cashews,pista,raisins n almonds)
Ghee: 1 1/2 tbsp.
condensed milk: 3 tbsp(Optional)
Method of preparation:
1. Take one full bottle gourd(Either round or long variety).
2. Rinse well and peel the skin of it. Grate the bottle gourd using grater. I got one and a half cup of grated bottle gourd.
3. Heat kadai,pour ghee. Slightly crush the dry fruits and fry in ghee except raisins.
4. Transfer them into a bowl and keep aside.
5. Now in the same Kadai put raisins, fry for few seconds or till they puff up well. Now add grated bottle gourd and fry on medium flame for 2 minutes. Water oozes out of the bottle gourd.
6. Now keep the stove on low flame and fry till the raw smell goes.
7. Crush the cardamom pods in a small mortar pestle.
8. Now add one cup of milk to the bottle gourd.
9. Now add the crushed cardamom pods and sugar to the bottle gourd and milk mixture.
10. Cook the grated bottle gourd with milk on low flame. Now add condensed milk.
11. Stir the mixture at regular intervals so that milk should not curdle.
12. Cook until uniform texture is attained.
13. Now the delectable bottle gourd halwa with full of nuts is ready to serve hot.
Instead of milk, sweetened khoya or condensed milk can be added. If you add them no need to add sugar separately because both of them have sugar in it. I’ve added only 3 tbsp of condensed milk along with milk, So I’ve added half cup of sugar for the halwa.