Stuffed Brinjal curry with melon seeds
This is such an amazing recipe. The preparation is little elaborate but once in a while to relish this recipe, it’s worth try. The curry is prepared with small purple brinjals. Melon seeds and other spices are used to prepare the gravy. Spices are roasted and ground to a smooth paste. The prepared paste is stuffed into the brinjals and cooked till they become tender. Here I present delicious stuffed brinjal curry with melon seeds to relish anytime with hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/Curries
Cuisine: South Indian
Small purple brinjals: 500 gms. Or 15-20 nos.
Onion: 1 no. Large
Tomatoes: 2 nos.
Ginger: One inch piece
Garlic flakes: 5/6 nos.
Curry leaves: Few
Garam masala: 2 tsp
Kasuri methi: 1 1/2 tsp
Oil: 3 tbsp.
To roast and grind:
Melon seeds: 2 tbsp
Bengal gram: 1 1/2 tbsp
Black gram: 1 1/2 tbsp
Coriander seeds: 1 1/2 tbsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
Whole black peppercorns: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: Few(Optional)
Poppy seeds/khuskhus: 1 1/2 tbsp
Grated fresh/frozen coconut: 1 1/2 tbsp
Red chillies: 7/8 nos(Adjust according to your spice level)
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Heat non stick pan/kadai, put Bengal gram, black gram, coriander seeds, cumin, fenugreek seeds and whole black peppercorns.
2. Roast them on low flame till they change into light brown colour(Stir continuously).
3. Now add melon seeds and poppyseeds too. Roast all the ingredients on low flame for a minute or two.
4. Now add red chillies and fry for a minute.
5. Switch off the flame and add grated coconut. Mix well for a minute. Allow the roasted ingredients to completely cool down to normal temperature.
6. Take a mixer grinder and transfer the roasted ingredients into it. Add required amount of salt and turmeric too.
7. Grind the roasted ingredients into fine powder.
8. Now add required amount of water to form smooth paste.
9. Transfer the ground paste into a bowl. Keep aside.
10. Take one onion and two tomatoes.
11. Rinse onion with water and chop the onion into small pieces.
12. Heat nonstick pan and pour oil. Put the chopped onion pieces into it.
13. Sauté the onion pieces on low flame till they change into translucent.
14. Take ginger and garlic flakes. Crush them in a small mortar pestle.
15. Add crushed ginger garlic paste the to the sautéed onions. Mix well and fry till raw smell goes away.
16. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and add them too.
17. Mix thoroughly and fry them on low flame.
18. Meanwhile take 500 gms. or 15-20 nos. of small purple brinjals. Rinse them well with water.
19. Now slit the brinjals into diagonals keeping stalks intact. Immerse them in water which contains salt and turmeric.
20. Now check the tomato pieces. Fry them till they turn mushy and oil oozes out of them.
21. Now stuff the brinjals with ground paste.
22. Add the stuffed brinjals to the sautéed onion tomato mixture. Rinse grinder with clean water and add that water also to get consistency.
23. Mix carefully and keep the lid.
24. Cook the stuffed brinjals on low flame stirring occasionally.
25. When the brinjals are almost cooked, add garam masala and kasuri methi too.
26. Mix well and cook furthermore for few minutes. If required drizzle little water to get the desired consistency.
27. Switch off the flame and garnish with curry leaves.
28. Now the delicious stuffed brinjal curry with melon seeds is ready to serve hot. Transfer the curry into a serving bowl.
29. Serve the brinjal curry with hot steamed rice to enjoy the flavours.
Check my other brinjal recipes.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.