Thotakura stir fry is very simple and so tasty. This is made with chana dal, grated fresh coconut and one’s own choice of spices. Thotakura stir fry is great combination with sambar, rasam or majjiga pulusu. Here, I present thotakura poriyal to be served hot with steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Thotakura leaves: 7/8 bunches
Onion: 1 no.(Big)
Garlic flakes: 4/5 nos.
Grated fresh coconut: 1 tbsp
Chana dal: 1 tbsp
Green chillies: 2 nos.
Turmeric: A pinch
Salt: As required
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1tsp
Red chilli: 1 no.
Hing: a pinch
Oil: 2 tbsp
Method of preparation:
1. Soak 1 tbsp of chana dal in Luke warm water for 30 minutes .Rinse thotakura leaves thoroughly under water for 4/5 times. Drain the excess water completely and finely chop them.
2. Take a vessel pour 2 cups of water and bring it to boil.
3. When it starts boiling add 1 cup of milk.
4. Cook the leaves on low to medium flame for 10 minutes and keep it aside.
5. Chop the onion and garlic into fine pieces. Slit the green chilli along lengthwise and make into pieces.
6. Heat pan pour 2 tbsp of oil , add urad dal, chana dal, mustard seeds . When it pops out add cumin seeds, a pinch of hing and red chilli too.
7. Add soaked chana dal and fry for a minute.
8. Now add finely chopped onions, garlic and green chillies.
9. Fry till they turn into golden brown colour. Add grated fresh coconut and Mix thoroughly.
10. Now add the boiled thotakura leaves into it.
11. Mix well, add required amount of salt and red chilli powder. Saute the fry for 5 more minutes.
12. Now the thotakura senagapappu koora is ready and can be served hot with steamed rice or roti.