Thotakura Pappu is an amazing healthy, easy and tasty recipe too. Thotakura Pappu is prepared with amaranth leaves and pigeon peas as main ingredients. Two tbsp of Bengal gram is also added to enhance the taste. It also gives additional crunch to the dal. Tempering is done with mustard and cumin seeds along with chopped onion and garlic flakes. Here I present thotakura pappu to relish as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice or chapathi too. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Thotakura/Amaranth leaves: 4 medium bunches
Pigeon peas/toor dal: One cup
Bengal gram/Chana dal: 2 tbsp
Green chillies: 2/3 nos.
Red chilli powder: Half tsp
Tamarind: Lemon sized
Water: 3-4 cups or as required
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Oil: One tbsp
Mustard: One tsp
Cumin: One tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch
Onion: 1 no.
Garlic flakes: 5/6 nos.
Method of preparation:
1. Take four medium bunches of fresh amaranth leaves.
2. Separate leaves from stems and rinse them well with water couple times. Use tender stems too along with leaves.
3. Roughly chop the leaves and keep aside.
4. Take one cup of toor dal and two tbsp of chana dal in a vessel.
5. Rinse well with water and add 2 1/2 cups of water approximately.
6. Cover the vessel with plate and put chopped amaranth leaves. Also add chopped green chillies.
7. Steam the dals and amaranth leaves in a pressure cooker along with rice for 5/6 whistles.
8. Allow the pressure to settle down completely. Meanwhile soak tamarind in enough water.
9. Open the lid of the pressure cooker and take out the steamed dals and amaranth leaves.
10. Heat big kadai and pour oil for tempering.
11. Put mustard seeds and cumin seeds.When mustards splutter add a pinch of asafoetida and garlic flakes.
12. Now add chopped onion pieces into it. Mix well and sauté till they change into translucent.
13. Now add steamed dal and amaranth leaves. Also add tamarind extract and turmeric.
14. Mix thoroughly and add required amount of salt. Also add one cup of water to get fallout consistency.
15. Now add red chilli powder. Boil the mixture for five minutes and switch off the flame.
16. Now the tasty thotakura pappu is ready to serve.
17. Transfer the thotakura pappu into a serving bowl and serve with hot steamed rice and a dollop of ghee.
Check my other recipes using amaranth leaves
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.