Idly is wholesome breakfast in our Indian households. And we have so many varieties to prepare idlies. This urad dal idli is one among them especially targeted for fussy kids. Urad dal idly is just made only with urad dal as key ingredient.
This is highly nutritious and gives strength to the body.Black gram lentil/urad dal is very good for women/kids because it’s rich in iron, calcium and vitamin B. Especially idly made with urad dal is super food for vegetarians because of it’s high protein content. The taste of urad dal idly is different and interesting. You can include this idly as breakfast along with normal idlies. The preparation is also very simple. After grinding urad dal batter for idly or vada just keep one or two cups of batter separately from it depending on requirement. After fermentation next day morning you can cook idlies along with regular idlies. Idlies taste good when served with any chutney/pickle or with fruit jam too. Here I present urad dal idly which is mild in taste yet healthful food. Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Urad dal: small cup
Salt: As required
Method of preparation:
1. Soak small cup of urad dal for 3 hours.
2. After 3 hours drain the excess water and grind the urad dal in a mixer grinder or wet grinder into a smooth batter to get idly batter consistency.
3. Or else while preparing normal idly batter, take 4/5 ladles of ground urad dal batter and keep separately to prepare urad dal idlies. Remaining idly batter is mixed with idly rava and can be used for making normal idlies.
4. Once the batter is ready add required amount of salt allow the batter for fermentation over night.
5. Next day morning check the batter for fermentation.
6. Mix well with ladle and keep aside.
7. Take idly mould, grease idly plates with ghee. Pour ladle full of batter into idly moulds and steam them (in pressure cooker without keeping weight) along with regular idlies for 15-20 minutes on low flame.Here I have steamed only four idlies along with regular idlies.
8. Switch off the flame and rest the idlies for 5 minutes. Let the pressure settle down and remove the idlies with idly spoon onto a plate.
9. Now the urad dal idlies are ready and can be served with melted ghee , fruit jam. Or piping hot idlies can be served with any condiment like pickle , chutney etc.