Veg kurma is one of the best accompaniments for chapathi. In South India it’s so much popular in almost all homes, restaurants and hostels too. We used to have veg kurma with chapathi, or bread
When we stayed in hostel. This veg kurma is prepared with lot of fresh veggies cooked in a cashew, khuskhus gravy. The kurma is so delicious and mouth watering. Here I present South Indian Vegetable Kurma which can be served with chapathi, pulka,parotta or roti. Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Carrots: 2 nos.
Beans: 100 gms or few
Potatoes: 2 nos. (Big)
Green peas: Handful
Onion: 1 big
Tomatoes: 2 nos. (Big)
Bay leaf: 1 or 2 nos.
Star anise: 3 nos.
Clove/laung: 4 nos.
Cardamom pods: 4/5 nos.
Cinnamon stick: 1 big
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: few
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
Oil: 2 1/2 tbsp
Salt: As required
Garam masala: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp.
For the gravy:
Khuskhus: 1 1/2 tbsp
Grated fresh coconut: one cup
Green chilli: 2 nos.
Method of preparation:
1. Soak Khuskhus and cashews together in enough water for 30 minutes. If using hot water for soaking ,15 minutes is enough.
2. Heat a small pressure cooker(3l capacity), pour oil into it.
3. Add chopped onion, once it starts changing colour add ginger garlic paste(Home made or store-brought), bay leaf, star anise, clove and cardamom pods. Fry them all on low flame till the raw smell goes.
4. Chop the carrots, beans, potatoes and tomatoes into required size and shape. Keep the potato slices in water.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes to the fried onion mixture. Fry them well on low flame.
6. Now add the chopped carrots, potatoes, beans and green peas too. Stir well and fry them again. Fry the veggies on low flame stirring at regular intervals.
7. Now pour 2 cups of water, keep the lid and cook the veggies for 2 whistles on low flame.
8. Meanwhile take a mixer grinder, extract the thin coconut milk from grated coconut. Keep aside.
9. Now in the same mixer grinder, keep khuskhus, cashews and green chillies without water. Grind them into a smooth fine paste. If need be add the soaked water.
9. Now open the lid of the pressure cooker. Add garam masala. Pour the khuskhus cashew paste and mix thoroughly.
10. Add required amount of salt and red chilli powder. Bring it to boil and cook the kurma till the raw smell goes.
11. Now add thin coconut milk and cook for 2 more minutes.
12. Now the yummilicious hot vegetable kurma is ready to serve.
13. Serve hot the vegetable kurma with chapathi and sliced onion.
To extract coconut milk, grind fresh coconut in a mixer grinder adding little water. Grind to a smooth paste and squeeze the coconut milk. This is thick coconut milk. After extracting thick milk again keep the paste in mixer grinder adding little water and grind once again. Again squeeze the milk and add to the thick coconut milk. Mix well and this is called thin coconut milk. Add this to the veg kurma at the last and boil for 2 minutes.