Am sure most of us have a childhood memory of visiting the near by bakery shops famous for a variety of delicious cakes and puffs…Vegetable puffs become integral part of evening snacks and served as a savoury item in several parties. Now, with the ovens in several house holds and the availability of required ingredients in the super markets, preparing those puffs is easy. Today I’m posting delicious veg puff with potato curry as stuffing. The recipe is quite easy if readymade puff sheets(Frozen) are used. Here I present delectable veg puff to tantalise our taste buds. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: Indian, world
Puff pastry sheet: 1 no. (Yields approximately 15 nos. small size)
Potatoes: 4 nos. large
Onion: 2 nos. medium
Ginger garlic paste: 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Pav bhaji masala/garam masala: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp(Adjust the quantity according to your spice level)
Kasuri methi: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: few
Green chilli: 1 no.
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Oil: 2 tbsp
Bengal gram: 1 tsp
Split black gram with husk: 1 tsp
Black gram: 1 tsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. I’ve used frozen puff pastry sheet to prepare veg puffs. Keep the rolled puff pastry sheet outside and allow to thaw. It takes approximately one hour for thawing the puff pastry sheet. Meanwhile prepare potato stuffing(Read the puff pastry package instructions to defrost or thaw it).
2. Rinse well and peel the skin of potatoes. Chop them into medium size pieces. Steam them in a pressure cooker and keep aside.
3. Heat kadai and pour oil for tempering. Put mustard, split black gram with husk, black gram, Bengal gram, mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of Asafoetida into it.
4. Now add chopped onion pieces, green chilli, chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
5. Mix well and add generous pinch of turmeric and a pinch of salt too.
6. Sauté onions on low flame till they turn into translucent. Add ginger garlic paste into the sautéed onions and sauté till raw smell goes away.
7. Now add steamed potatoes and required amount of salt into the sautéed onions. Mix thoroughly and sauté for two minutes.
8. Now add coriander powder, cumin powder, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder and kasuri methi too.
9. Mix thoroughly and keep aside. The potato curry is ready to be used for stuffing.
10. After thawing, the puff pastry sheet is ready to use.
11. Slice them into 15 equal size pieces.
12. Stuff them with potato curry in each puff pastry sheet.
13. Close the other side using few drops of water or milk and gently press them with fingers. You can prepare the puffs either into triangles or rectangles.
14. Arrange them in a baking tray or wired rack containing parchment paper.
15. I’ve baked them in two batches.
Baking veg puffs:
1. Preheat oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 10 minutes.
2. Now bake the first batch at 200 degrees centigrade for 10-15 minutes. Keep the puffs in the centre rack with both heating elements on. Baking time varies from oven to oven. It took approximately 15 minutes to bake the puffs in my oven. Likewise bake the second batch too till they turn into golden brown colour.
3. Switch off the oven and remove them. Keep them on a wired tray for three minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.
4. Now the delicious veg puffs are ready to enjoy.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.