Chimmili is Andhra delicacy prepared with just two ingredients, sesame seeds and jaggery powder. We often prepare chimmili because of it’s enormous health benefits. Sesame seeds are good source of vitamins and minerals, specifically iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. Jaggery is very good for constipation and also used to treat anemia because it has high content of iron. Usually chimmili is prepared for Varalakshmi pooja, nagula chavathi(Fourth day after Diwali) and Subrahmanya Sashti. Chimmili can also be used as a stuffing to prepare modak during Ganesha Chaturthi. Apart from poija rituals, this is also a must like pulagam(Posted earlier) and given to girls who just entered into adolescence. The sesame and jaggery combo strengthen bones and purifies blood and maintain good haemoglobin levels naturally. Here I present wholesome sweet chimmili to relish as an evening snack. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Sweets/Healthy Snacks
Cuisine: Andhra/Telangana, India
Servings: 20 medium sized
Sesame seeds: 200 gms or one and half cups
Organic jaggery powder: 3/4 th – 1 cup
Method of preparation:
- Take 200 gms. Of sesame seeds and dry roast them in a kadai for two minutes or till nice crackling sound comes.
- Transfer them onto a plate and allow them to completely cool down.
- Now take a mixer grinder and put roasted sesame seeds.
- Grind the roasted sesame seeds to a fine powder.
- Now add organic jaggery powder and grind once again.
- Transfer the ground mixture onto a vessel and make into medium sized balls.
- Now the healthy dessert chimmili is ready to serve.
I’ve prepared chimmili in a traditional way. You can add two tbsp of roasted gram, ghee and dry fruits also. Cardamom powder can also be added.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.
Please follow akshayakumbham @ Instagram also!