This is a very healthy accompaniment to steamed rice, idly or dosa. We can prepare either pappu or pachadi with chukkakura/sorrel spinach leaves. Chukkakura has amazing health benefits. They are rich in vitamin C, K, iron, magnesium and many more. Chukkakura leaves possess a distinct flavour and tangy taste. Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, Bengal gram, black gram and red chillies are roasted in few drops of oil. Chukkakura leaves are sautéed in oil along with green chillies. Roasted ingredients are ground to a powder. Sautéed chukkakura is mixed with ground powder. Tempering is done with tempering ingredients. Here I present a tasty and healthy chukkakura pachadi to relish with idly. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Chukkakura/Sorrel Spinach leaves: 6 bunches
Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: Half tsp
Bengal gram: 1 tsp
Black gram: 1 tsp
Red chillies: 5/6 nos.
Green chillies: 3 nos.
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Oil: 1 tbsp.
Oil: 1 tbsp
Split Black gram with husk: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Take 6 bunches of sorrel spinach leaves.
2. Separate leaves with tender stems. Rinse well with water and keep aside.
3. Heat kadai and pour little oil. Put Bengal gram, black gram, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds.
4. Roast them on low flame stirring continuously till they change into light brown colour.
5. Now add red chillies and fry for few seconds.
6. Switch off the flame and transfer the roasted ingredients onto a plate.
7. In the same kadai pour one tbsp of oil and put the sorrel spinach leaves.
8. Mix well and sauté on low flame. Water oozes out of the sorrel spinach leaves.
9. Continue to sauté on low flame and add green chillies too.
10. Mix well and cook furthermore for two minutes or till it’s completely done.
11. Switch off the flame and allow to completely down.
12. Take a mixer grinder, transfer the roasted ingredients into it. Also add required amount of salt and turmeric.
13. Grind the roasted ingredients into a fine powder.
14. Now add sautéed sorrel spinach leaves with green chillies.
15. Use pulse button twice to get the uniform texture to the chutney. If required add little water to it.
16. Now transfer the ground chutney into the kadai.
17. Heat small kadai and pour oil for tempering. Add mustard seeds, split black gram with husk and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida into it.
18. Switch off the flame and pour the tempering onto the chutney. Mix thoroughly.
19. Now transfer the chutney into a serving bowl. Now the delicious and healthy chukkakura pachadi is ready to serve.
20. Serve chukkakura pachadi with hot Idlies and enjoy.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.