Drumstick leaves – powerhouse of nutrients. Got them from neighbourhood garden. Drumstick leaves have enormous health benefits. They are good source of vitamins and minerals. Today I’ve prepared drumstick leaves lentils using drumstick leaves. Toor dal is used to make the dal/lentils. Toor dal and drumstick leaves are cooked in a pressure cooker along with rice. The pressure is allowed to completely cool down. Tamarind extract , red chilli powder and required amount of salt are added. Tempering is done with tempering ingredients and garlic flakes. Here I present tasty munagaaku pappu/drumstick leaves dal which can be served as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/accompaniments
Cuisine: South Indian
Drumstick leaves: One cup
Toor dal/pigeon peas: One cup
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Red chilli powder: One tsp
Salt: As required
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Garlic flakes: 5/6 nos.(Optional)
Green chilli: 1 no.
Asafoetida: A pinch
Method of preparation:
- Take one small bunch of drumstick leaves and separate leaves from stems. Rinse thoroughly with water and keep aside.
- Take one cup of toor dal in a vessel.
- Rinse well with water and pour two and half cups of water.
- Now put the drumstick leaves on top of the toor dal + water.
- Pressure cook the dal and leaves in a pressure cooker for 5/6 whistles.
- When the pressure settles take the vessel out of the pressure cooker.
- Mix thoroughly and add turmeric, required amount of salt too.
- Boil the dal for two minutes and add red chilli powder.
- Now extract tamarind water and add the extract to the boiling dal.
- Heat small kadai and pour oil for tempering. Put mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida, garlic flakes and one green chilli into it. Mix well and fry for a minute.
- Pour this tempering onto the dal mixture and mix well. Furthermore boil for two more minutes and switch off the flame.
- Transfer the drumstick leaves lentils into a Serving bowl and serve hot with steamed rice.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.
Please follow akshayakumbham @ Instagram also!