Potato : 1 large
Besan flour : 1 cup
Rice flour/ corn flour : 1 tbsp (Either of the two)
Sodium bi carbonate ( cooking soda): a pinch
Salt as required
Red chilli powder : 1 tsp
Ajwain/ cumin : 1 tsp( optional)
Oil for deep frying
Method of Preparation:
- Clean and cut the potato into very thin slices. Dip them in water and keep aside.
Take a mixing bowl and add all ingredients except potato. Mix them thoroughly by slowly adding water to get thick consistency*.
- Place a deep pan/kadai on stove, add generous amount of oil and heat it to get the desired temperature** for frying.
- Take the potato slices, dip them in batter, coat on both sides and drop in the oil slowly and carefully.
- Fry them until till they get golden brown colour.
- Transfer Bajjis to a plate spread with paper napkins to absorb excess oil and serve hot with Green chutney.
*Batter consistency should be in such a way that it should thickly coat the potato pieces, well enough to be dropped into oil.
**To check the temperature just put one drop of batter into oil, if the oil is ready the drop of batter will float up immediately.
Slightly sprinkle chat masala if you want Bajjjis to be more spicy.