Sundakkai vathal kara kuzhambu
Sundakkai vathal are called vusthi orugulu in Telugu and sundried turkey berries in English. Sundakkai vathal are sun dried using ripen sundakkai/turkey berries. To prepare the kuzhambu I’ve used store bought sundried turkey berries/sundakkai vathal. Required amount of sundried turkey berries are fried in oil. Tempering is done with mustard and fenugreek seeds along with asafoetida. Chopped onion pieces are sautéed in tempering. Grated coconut, red chilli powder and sambar powder are added. Tamarind extract and required amount of water is added to prepare the stew. Here I present spicy, tangy sundakkai vathal kara Kuzhambu to relish with hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: Tamilnadu, Chittoor n Nellore districts of Andhra, India
Sundakkai vathal/vusthi orugulu: 2 1/2 tbsp
Onion: 1 no.
Sambar Powder: 2 tsp(Click on the recipe link for detailed recipe)
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Grated coconut: 1 tbsp
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few
Oil: 2/3 tbsp For frying sundakkai vathal.
Oil: 1 1/2 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: Few
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take two and half tbsp of sundakkai vathal in a vessel.
2. Fry them in oil till they change colour or completely done. Keep aside.
3. Now heat kadai and pour oil for tempering. Put mustard and fenugreek seeds.
4. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida into it.
5. Now add one tbsp of the fried sundakkai vathal to the tempering. Also add chopped onion pieces. Mix well.
6. Sauté the onion pieces till they change into translucent.
7. Now add grated coconut, sambar powder, turmeric and red chilli powder. Also add curry leaves and coriander leaves.
8. Mix thoroughly and sauté for few seconds.
9. Now add two cups of water. Also add required amount of salt.
10. Soak tamarind for twenty minutes and add tamarind water. Bring it to boil.
11. When it starts boiling, allow it to boil for five more minutes.
12. Switch off the flame and transfer the kuzhambu into a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves and fried turkey berries too.
13. Now the delicious sundakkai vathal Kara kuzhambu is ready to serve hot. Serve the kuzhambu with fried sundakkai vathal too to enjoy the flavours.
Fried sundakkai vathal can be served like sun dried chillies or fryums to curd rice or any kara Kuzhambu.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.