Vakkaya pachadi is another tasty and healthy recipe using vakkayalu/pickle berries. Vakkayalu are rich in vitamin C and iron, hence they can be used for immunity and anemia respectively. They can also be used for good digestion. Coriander seeds, Fenugreek seeds are roasted in little oil along with red chillies. The Deseeded vakkayalu are sautéed in little oil till they become soft. Roasted ingredients are ground adding required amount of salt. Ground chutney is tempered with tempering ingredients. Here I present tasty, tangy and spicy traditional recipe vakkaya pachadi to relish with hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Vankayalu: 100 gms(Approximately) or one cup
Red chillies: 13 nos.
Salt: As required
Coriander seeds: 3/4 th tsp
Fenugreek seeds: Few or 1/4 th tsp
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Oil: 2 tsp.
Oil: Half tbsp
Mustard: 3/4 th tsp
Split black gram with husk: 3/4 th tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Heat kadai and pour two tsp of oil. Put coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds.
2. When they slightly change colour add red chillies and roast them for few seconds.
3. Transfer them into a mixer grinder.
4. Take one cup of vakkayalu, rinse them well with water and remove the seeds. Now in the same kadai put deseeded vakkayalu and sauté them.
5. Sauté them till they become soft. They take approximately five minutes to become soft.
6. Now switch off the flame. Transfer them onto a plate and allow to cool down.
7. Now add salt and turmeric to the roasted coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chillies.
8. Grind them to a semi coarse powder.
9. Now add sautéed vakkayalu and use only pulse button twice to get desired chutney consistency. Keep aside.
10. Heat small kadai and pour half tbsp of oil for tempering. Put mustard seeds and split black gram with husk. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida into it. Switch off the flame.
11. Now add ground chutney to the tempering.
12. Mix thoroughly chutney with the tempering.
13. Now transfer the chutney into a serving bowl. Now the delicious vakkaya pachadi/chutney is ready to serve with hot steamed rice and a dollop of ghee.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.